Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge Club Piped Soaps

I had the idea for this soap for a while now. I have been dying to make it mainly because I love doing the sugar skulls. I think the is the first time I waited so long that I only had time to do one batch. This was it. I was happy with the way my soap behaved and it is scented in the most beautiful blend. I used Mad Oils Deviant and Brambleberry's Crisp Apple Rose. I cannot stop smelling it. The colors I used were from Nurture's Soap and the 2 reds were Really red from Nurture, and Brick Red from Bramberry.


I love how vibrant they are and the contrast of colors.

Practicing with tips


While my soap behaved nicely I could not get the the Russian tips to work like i wanted to, I only managed to get 2 semi nice flowers from that tip. I used rose and star tips for the rest. But I think next time I need to make my skulls smaller or my piping space much bigger. I did not achieve the roses I wanted to so that was a disappointment. Overall I like the way they came out. I just wish I had more space to achieve the flowers I wanted and I really really wanted to get intricate with my lines on the skulls themselves. Not to self. Next time do all the detail lines before the flowers. That thickened up way faster than the batter for the flowers. By the time I was done flowering everything the black had thickened up so much I was going back many times to correct.






Then the actual picture taking. I tried many different backgrounds and many different lighting. These were by far the hardest soaps I have ever had to photograph. If it came out with the exact colors then there was no detail in the piping. If the piping was perfect with detail they colors looked either over muted or way to bright. Lighting for these sucked. I have no idea how everyone managed to make
Thurs look so beautiful with such amazing detail. I managed to get two with the closest in lighting and detail. While they are not perfect and no where near what I wanted as far as how they turned out, I am still very happy with them and look forward to practicing to get the piping even half as beautiful as everyone elses. I did do something different though and that is what I set out for. Thank you for having this contest. And good luck to everyone!


Some of the possible photo contest entries.



I really liked this one alot. It was between this one and the 2nd one from the bottom. I loved that this had black on top and light on the bottom. It made me think of the living celebrating the dead.  Which is exactly What Dia de los Muertos is. 




My entry that I decided best showed the details of the flowers while my other choice with them side by side was truer to the actual colors. This was the entry I decided to go with.



7 comments:

  1. Love how all the bright colors look against the skulls. They all look fab! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are super creative, Michelle! You came up with something totally unique and I can tell you had some fun with these! :) Great contrasting & BOLD colors. Photography can be one of the hardest parts though - I agree! Natural lighting seems to be the best, but sometimes it's still difficult to get a "true to life" photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun! perfect for this Halloween! I love how they all are different. The one with the mustache is my fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very unique idea! ... and great colours!! Yes, photography can be tricky... You did great! The black background is best :-) Everything pops!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM IN LOVE WITH THESE! ANYTHING WITH SCULLS, GOTHIC STUFF IS MY JAM. THESE CAME OUT KICK'N ASS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are incredible - absolutely love the colors, and your creativity. What an outstanding theme!

    ReplyDelete