Friday, August 12, 2016

Great Cakes Soapworks Soap Challenge Club.

One of my great joys is making soap. I love to craft with all sorts of mediums but none bring me this imense satisfaction of making soap. I have entered quite a few times and even been successful in placing a couple times., Though I will stand by beginers luck. This challenge was the Dancing funnel pour and I attempted this design 6 different times, only one had come close by my 5th time and I was going to attempt to enter my only successful one that was still not what it was supposed to be as shown here:





But at the last possible moment I thought I would try one more time. Every previous batch got so thick that it was impossible to do what I needed it to. It was like scooping shortening. I even had one harden up so bad in my squeeze bottles that I ended up throwing them away because they hardened so badly I had to go out and buy new bottles.  This final batch used 6 colors (because i am a glutton for punishment) I used activated charcoal for the black and Nurtures soap Neons. I scented in Avobath since I am down to my last bar and went to work. I was soo happy I tried one more time. It stayed super smooth and fluid, smelled fantastic and most importantly let me do the layers I needed to have done for the design. I have no idea why it worked this time and not the others. Possibly my lard was too cold at room temperture, but regardless, this batch came out beautiful. Now I am praying that letting it rest in the dehydrator will let it harden it up fast enough to let me cut into it and get photos before the deadline. I am writing this in advance so that if i am able to cut in time I wont have to write out a blog post and then end up cutting through the skin of my teeth to make it in. I figured if I can have everything ready until the cut then I might have a fighting chance. I look forward to seeing the cut, I love the colors and am just thrillled that it actually turned out. I really got lucky on this one.

sorry for the bad lighting on this one. It was well after midnight and we have pour lighting.

So hooray I got my entry in with literally 2 minutes to spare. It was so soft to cut that I was tearing my soap and I had to wash it to get it to not looked ripped for photos. So unfortunately I think it came off as slimy and I had no time to dry them off or even take a new set of photos. With my computer running slow motion unfortunately that is the way the cookie, or soap in this matter crumbles. I am super pleased with how it came out though and having the house smell like AvoBath is an added bonus. I cant wait to look at everyones entry and good luck to everyone!

Hubby and the kids dubbed this soap Dance of the FireFlies.

7 comments:

  1. Michelle:
    Great Colors! I'd love to see your other attempts too.
    Congrats you made it!!
    SLy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sly, I unfortunately do not have the other 4 with me. 1 got chucked in the trash because i had a hard time cutting them out of the bottles since it turned to soap on a stick and the other 3 got sold right away. I have a few clients who order from out of state. Normally they purchase a whole loaf at a time from me and pay the shipping accordingly. This time they took the whole batch from me only a week cure as well as a few bars to last them till the cure from the new batches. Sadly I did not get photos of those 3. Though I wont complain since that is soap I don't have to attempt to sell. It was sold before I even got to making it. Those soaps always make me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle:
      Cool! Sounds like some great clients to have!! Good for you!
      Sly

      Delete
  3. Well done, Michelle! I'm so happy you were able to get a super successful batch done in time and especially that you were able to get it out of the mold - highly critical!! Those neons are just awesome. No other words. Seriously no idea how the others set up so fast? Fragrance? Overblending? Too warm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little bit of everything. I tried to do the challenge with soaps I already needed to make. I forgot how fast pine tar soap sets up. Did part in activated charcoal and the rest with colloidal oats. Very pretty black on tan contrast but more like brownie batter. A lilac that I have used before and had caused zero issues seized on me soap on a stick Moments AFTER pouring into 2 bottles. I swear I have never had that happen before. The last two, one FO and another without scent I think I soaper one too hot maybe and the other possibly too cold. I have noticed lard is a bit finicky if too extreme in either direction of temp. Room temp lard for me I think gives me a false trace wishing seconds and that is what happened since I wasn't following the soap recipe. The Unscented just got thick like pudding very very shortly after hand mixing with a spatula. The one with fragrance was about 135 but riced on me and because I ended up pulling out the stick blender it just wasn't going to even almost work. The pear smelled yummy but ended up being one color and had a more rustic look instead of a lovely swirl. Since they were for people I could sell to directly instead of mailing they decided to just let them cure at home rather than pay shipping. I wish I would have gotten photos of the pinetar and Unscented though. Those both came out pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, these are stunning colors! What a gorgeous color palette and seriously beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to laugh... I seem to be a glutton for punishment at times myself. Your soap turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete